Tuesday, August 15, 2006

successful inaugural bike commute

Today, instead of driving, I rode my new Dahon Helios SL folding bicycle to the BART station. The entire commute (bicycle + BART ride) took about 1.5 hours this morning, which included a couple of short stretch breaks in the park. Driving to BART and then riding BART takes an hour. Although the bike commute increases my travel time by 50%, it also builds in two hours of exercise into my day -- not to mention the $9 savings in parking , gas, and wear and tear on the car.

The ride home took about 1.5 hours. I had to walk my bike up the big hill near Alamo Square, but I think I'll be able to ride up this hill after a few months. My goal is to commute by bike once a week for starters. I was a little nervous about today's first ride, but now all I feel is a great sense of accomplishment... and fatigue (the good kind).

No comments: