Tuesday, September 06, 2005

so the tale begins...

Thanks, Raymond, for your well-wishes!

The creative nonfiction workshop that I am taking is off to a great start. I am looking forward to our readings, and I feel like I've already gotten some pointers that will help improve my writing.

Our first in-class exercise required us to draft a portrait. I had a terrible time trying to decide what to write about. I was too shy to read mine aloud in class, but in the interest of learning to take risks and put myself out there, I post it here.

*********************

Tim always greets people in the proper way. He bows and says, "Ahn nyung ha seh yo?" That's typically the most he'll offer voluntarily. Whenever I see him, he offers the same greeting that he gives all adults. We are cousins, but I am older than he is; in Korean culture, that makes a difference.

Tim usually doesn't speak much unless someone asks him a question. He doesn't give verbal indications of his emotions or state of mind. My sister and I try to engage him in conversation; we are getting better at finding topics that interest him enough to carry on a short discussion. My aunt says that she can tell that he likes hanging out with us because she's seen the shy smile that escapes when he's having a good time.

No comments: