Friday, August 19, 2005
I want to be a superhero
When I was a kid, I used to fantasize about being a secret agent - a good guy who went on missions to defend the world against the bad guys. In recent years, The Lord of the Rings trilogy and select screen adaptations of comic books have satisfied my appetite for epic tales of good versus evil. Unfortunately, I often end up despairing at the state of the world after watching these kinds of movies. A few months ago, after I watched Batman Begins, I was finally able to articulate why I feel this way. It's because in the real world, superheros like the ones that we watch and read about don't exist. However, there are definitely real people who are as twisted and depraved as the villians we love to hate on the silver screen. Furthermore, in reality, justice is hard to come by and rarely is there a tidy, happy ending. I guess that's why I have to keep watching TV shows (like Alias) and movies where the good guys kick the bad guys' asses.... So I can pretend - just for a moment - that all is right in the world.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment